History of Tradition and Excellence
Our Lady of Sorrows became a parish in the fall of 1927 as a small frame church seating 125 people. Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School was built by parishioners in 1935 on donated land on Grand River near Orchard Lake Road. The first three-room school ministered to 140 children looking for a parochial Roman Catholic education. Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School has grown tremendously since then and now has over 850 students enrolled. For almost 90 years, Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School has maintained its status among the largest and most respected parish-run Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Detroit. Situated on 19 acres, Our Lady of Sorrows consists of a 900 seat parish Church, a Family and Early Childhood Center with preschool, kindergarten, and chapel; an elementary school and junior high; cafeteria with hot-lunch program; networked and air-conditioned classrooms; interactive technology in each classroom; and a full-size gymnasium and athletic fields. Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic School works to continue and complement the work of the family, the parish, and the surrounding social environment - all of which contribute to the total education of the child.